Monday, November 28, 2011

Soap is a Bubblin'

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.  I really meant to post a few more times last week  but with company, Thanksgiving dinner to prepare, hubby getting the stomach flu (poor guy missed Thanksgiving dinner) and a daughter home from college I just didn't get around to it.
Before life took over, hubby and I tried our hand at soap making.  Oh no!! This could be addicting.  There are so many pretty and fun things to do to soap.  But our first batch made 25 bars so I don't think I can make soap every week.
Soap making is dangerous so we had to wear gloves, goggles and long sleeves.
I will spare you the pictures of me in my goggles. My cheeks are too big and I couldn't smile right with the googles on.
Here is the coconut oil that we used.  It smells just like an Almond Joy candybar.  yummm
Here we are waiting for the lye mixture and the oils to cool.  When we added the lye to the liquid (my hubby's homebrewed barley wine for this one) it boiled!!  I had never used lye before and wow! was it a bit scary.  It also stunk like crazy.  It is a must do outside.
The oil and lye need to be around the same temp., about 90 to 100 degrees.
Lye mixture and oils mixed together.  Must stir vigorously for about 20 minutes.  It was good that I had someone else to take turns with.
The soap is now been poured into it's freezer paper lined box.  I didn't do a great job wrapping the box in freezer paper.  Now I see why people who make a lot of soap buy soap molds.
Wait 3 days...
At this point the soap smelled awful!!!!  It has to set and cure for at least two weeks.  Six weeks is better. That is a lot of soap!!!

Does anyone else have a list a mile long of things you have to do, but you just want to do the things you want to do???  That is me!!   I wasn't planning on making any more gifts but I would sure like to make my nephews some knitted monsters.  And of course, they will have to be mailed out!!!

Yesterday our dishwasher died so we spent some time shopping for one.  Nothing!!  that didn't have to be ordered.  Hubby is going to go again today and look at one more place.  I only have two wants, that it be stainless steel and that the buttons are not on the front.  Hopefully he finds one and today will be filled with putting it in.  I will get to my lists!!!

Happy Crafting!!

2 comments:

  1. Thant is a lot of soap!!!!! I had no idea that it was so dangerous to make. I think I still want to try though =D

    I've been doing tons of "have to do" things and not nearly enough "want to do" things. We should pick two days a week and just do things that we want to do =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you for trying it! It looks like quite the under taking!!!!

    http://jimpricute.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete