Sunday, November 20, 2011

Heating Up the Farmer

I was getting a little bored with the colors of my Farmer's Wife Quilt so I decided to use some of the pretty Veranda that I won.
I am badly in need of some potholders.  I'm one of those people who hates to buy stuff that I can make myself.  I look at the ones in the store but never  buy them.
I bought some Insul-Bright at Joannes and thought I would give it a try.
I made the Cups and Saucers block and layered it with two layers of the insul-bright.  The directions say to have the shiny side out so I made sure the shiny side was towards the outside.   I did a little quilting on the  block to keep the layers together.
I cut the binding at 2 inches.  If I make another I will cut the binding at 2 1/2 because it was really tight getting the binding sewn down on the back.
It makes cute little crinkling noises when you touch it.
I hadn't tried it out on anything hot yet and we had company last night.  The guys were making steaks and it was so cold outside that the grill wouldn't heat up.  They brought the steaks in and put them under the broiler.  Hubby said that they took the pan out of the broiler with the new potholder so it must work.  I might have freaked out if I had seen them using an un-tested potholder on something that hot.
I once had a bad experience with a hand made potholder that I had received as a gift.  I used it to get a pie out of the oven and not only did I burn my hand, I dropped the pie all over the kitchen floor!!
I have a bunch of the insul-bright left so I may just have to make myself some more.
We've had a week of wicked weather and I am so happy to have power and heat and running water and all those things that come with civilization!!
Today I am spending time on my regular Farmer's Wife blocks.
Happy Crafting!!

2 comments:

  1. That is a great idea for pot holders! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest pot holder EVER!!! I love the colors. I bought some of that insul-bright too. I'm glad it works. I was a little nervous!

    ReplyDelete