Monday, September 3, 2012

Food!

The nights are getting crispy here.


Like in the 30's crisp.  Yikes.  When Fall is upon me I get this desire to buy food.  Hoard food?  Can food.  Freeze food.  Get.food.in.the.house!
It must be that I devoured Little House on the Prairie books when I was a kid. (Well, actually sometimes I will get a hankering to read them now.) Must get prepared for winter.  You would think the grocery stores shut down.
Well, actually, we did have one winter where there were so many avalanches that the stores stopped trucking food down to us.  It didn't take long til there were mostly just eggplants at the store.
Anyways....

On Wednesday I scored a box of bananas for $5.  Here that is a fabulous price.  I have been dehydrating, freezing some for smoothies and freezing some for banana bread. If you have never had real dehydrated bananas (not the greasy ones from the store) you are missing out.  Most of the time they end up being eaten as soon as they are done.



I also have a case of Granny Smith apples that are being turned into apple butter, apple pie filling, applesauce and maybe some dried apples too.

This turned into applesauce!

Three pies in the freezer.  I freeze them in the pie plates, take them out when they are frozen and then put them in ziplocks in the freezer.  Then all I have to do to make a pie is, make a pie crust and then pop it in the oven!!!
Applesauce and apple butter.
The pictures look a little odd.  We are having an unusual winter type storm heading in.  Strong winds and rain, (thankfully not snow).  More like something we have in November and December.

I still have about one more batch of applesauce to make and some more bananas to process but I did get a lot of it done.  While I was waiting on things to process, I watched Netflixs and sewed on my Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks.  I will show you those soon!!!
Happy Crafting!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!!! That is cold!!! I love all of the food stuff you do. I wish I did stuff like that. I love to bake and cook, but I don't do any canning or dehydrating...maybe I should start :)
    You got those bananas for an awesome price!! If I weren't so stuffed from dinner, your post would be making me really hungry =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. love how clever you are at storing your bulk foodstuffs (your pie plate apples are perfect - will defo do this when my apples are ripe - if i can get them before the cockatoos that is!)

    i've looked at a dehydrator for ever and still haven't bought one - think i might have to lash out!

    ReplyDelete